Monday, February 26, 2007

Meddle





by R Wisdom and P Vaughan

Acrylic on Canvas
18" x 18"
(2006)

Ray and Patrick pulled off an impatientist masterpiece when they completed "Meddle" in a cigarette and bourbon fueled impatientist session to which I was sadly not a party.  But all the better because "Meddle" is nothing like any previous impatientist work.  The stark vertical white line was created by absence.  That is, the canvas was sheathed with a streak of painter's tape so that when Ray and Patrick went about attacking it with a blind arsenal of deep-ocean trench colors they could not have possibly covered the area submerged in tape.  How that last little dollop of blue Hershey's Syrup ended up covering part of the cordoned-off area we may never know.  Was it a mistake?  Was it purposeful?  Was it catalyzed by a dare and a shot of Old Crow?  Who's counting.

I bought this painting from the duo.  I won't say how many thousands it cost me but I will say that it sits above my reading chair in my humble University City, MO abode and damn, I just love this fucking painting.  I believe one day I will put it in my Navarre, FL beach house.  Other than the white stripe, my favorite part of the painting is the aguamarine suggestion of tide-pool snorkeling that pre-dominates the left hand side of the painting.  It is such a peaceful green patch of shallow water that I want to fall asleep in every time I see it.

This is a "strong" impatientist work, which is to say it is perfectly impatientist.  The colors were chosen blindly out of the now-infamous "Paint Bag."  Further, the artists wore winter masks over their faces and did not see what effect their hands and minds were having on the canvas as they worked.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?