Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Tibetan



acrylic on thrice-painted canvas
11" x 14"
(2007)

$210















This painting is pseudo-impatientist.  I selected the colors blindly and, en mask, attempted with my hands to paint a mountain & farmland scene.  The farmland never came to fruition.  When I de-masked I continued to work on the mountain scene with brushes and, chiefly, a palette knife.  This form of "weak" impatientism was first practiced by Joseph Portera, and I like to think that "Tibetan" is reminiscent of his master work, "Woods."

The canvas first hosted another painting, and then another.  Immediately before "Tibetan" the canvas was painted a golden yellow and had the texture of pronounced vertical ridges.  This gives the painting an unusual ridgy look while contributing to the "ridges" of the mountains and accenting the vertical splendor of the mountains portrayed.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?